-aspectd Our Beliefs...
We are Presbyterian - but what does Presbyterian mean?
Well, first, "presbyterians" is an anagram of "Britney Spears." Now you know.
(And "Episcopal" is an anagram of "Pepsi Cola.") OK, enough.
Broadway Church has been Presbyterian since our founding in 1865. We are ROOTS & BRANCHES, respectful and appreciative of our history and traditions, yet reaching out in new and innovative ways to help people explore the way of God and grow in faith.
Presbyterians are united in certain theological beliefs and church organization, but in terms of cultural issues and current events, there is much divergence of opinion. Individual churches, such as Broadway, are not bound to, nor must we agree with, all the viewpoints of our local presbytery or national denomination.
Some important aspects of Presbyterian beliefs:
- presbuteros, as used in the New Testament, translates as "elder"
- churches governed by a Board of Elders; no power rests in one person or office
- women and men serve in leadership roles and as ordained ministers
- Presbyterians are Protestant and (to varying degrees) Reformed
- God is sovereign over all creation
- God in three Persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit
- Jesus Christ: God in flesh, bodily resurrection, eventual Second Coming
- Eternal salvation found through faith in Jesus Christ as Lord
- the centrality and unique authority of God's inspired Word preserved in the Bible
- salvation by faith alone through God's grace alone
- good works naturally flow from good faith
- supported by the Church's historic Confessions & Catechisms
- Baptism as a sign and seal of God's grace
- infant or adult Baptism by sprinkling, pouring, or immersion
- once and for all time Baptism within Christianity
- Communion (Lord's Supper) a ceremony of remembrance and renewal
- Communion table open to all Baptized believers
- roots reach back to John Calvin and John Knox
- our churches embrace lesser or greater forms of Calvinism
- roots reach back to Scottish immigrants who brought Presbyterianism to America
For more, join us for worship and maybe even some Bible study. We also host regular "Next Steps" gatherings at which visitors, new worshipers, and those interested in membership can learn more about who we are and what we believe.